Body Scrubs: Benefits and Uses
Using soap and water is a good daily body cleansing habit. But from time to time our body needs a special detoxifying ritual. Body scrubs are a special kind of abrasive substance that exfoliates the skin on the body ridding it of things like dead skin cells, dirt, toxins etc revealing fresh, bright and smooth skin.
Various kinds of body scrubs are available in Australia. Body scrubs are made up of a blend of natural ingredients. Body scrubs in Australia are usually made up of brown sugar, salt, mineral clay or even powders of fruits like walnut, apricot or almonds. These things are usually blended with essentials oils and other types of good fats that are beneficial for the skin.
Keep a jar of body scrub in the shower and make sure to exfoliate your skin every week with it. There are many uses of body scrub.
Uses of a Body Scrub
- Regular use of body scrub results in better, beautiful, rejuvenated and smoother body skin.
- Scrubbing rids the surface of the body of harmful toxins, dirt and dust that accumulate on the skin from pollution.
- The exfoliating action promotes better circulation and regulates blood flow to the surface of the skin.
- Increased circulation leads to more youthful skin in the long run.
- Antiseptic and antibacterial properties in body scrubs clear the skin of acne and rashes.
- Essential and carrier oils present in body scrubs hydrate the skin.
- Regular use of body scrub helps one get rid of rough dry skin in areas such as knee, elbow, underarms etc
- Soaps and body shampoos are made up of harsh chemicals. Body scrubs are natural alternatives to these.
- Body scrubs are particularly necessary in a sunny country like Australia as regular use of body scrubs treats tanned skin.
- A scrubbing ritual reduces stress.
- Regular scrubbing prevents ingrown hair.
What if you don’t scrub your body skin?
One should indulge in a body scrubbing ritual at least once a week. Every day dead cells accumulate on our skin. Exposure to pollution leads to bad skin. Lack of scrubbing leads to dead cell and toxin build up that will result in dull skin, clogged pores, blackheads, whiteheads, rough skin, dry skin, bumpy skin texture etc.
What kind of body scrub should you use?
There are numerous types of body scrubs available in Australia. Choose your body scrub according to your skin type. If you have oily skin, clay scrubs or scrubs made up of lemon or orange peel powder would be ideal for you. If you have dry skin you use a body scrub made from brown sugar or almond powder. Individuals with sensitive skin should choose a scrub which is not very abrasive. They can go for body scrubs made up of oatmeal powder or rose petal powder. You can normally use a body scrub up to three times a week. But if you have sensitive skin, avoid using body scrub beyond one time a week.
How to use a body scrub?
- Wet your skin under running water.
- Take some scrub on your palms and gently massage your body skin with the scrub.
- Don’t use a lot of pressure while scrubbing your skin as it may bruise your skin. Use circular motions and scrub your skin for 3-5 minutes.
- Wash off with running water.
- Follow up with a body moisturizer.
Everyone should use a body scrub at least once a week for healthy and firm skin. As there are quite a variety of body scrubs available in Australia, you need to choose one wisely. When you choose a scrub check if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Also, avoid using a scrub when you are suffering from a bad rash or sunburn.